KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, a.s. is a successor company of KONŠTRUKTA Trenčín, National Enterprise, founded in 1953 in the city of Trenčín after a defense division of ŠKODA Plzeň, Czech Republic, was moved to Dubnica nad Váhom, a town located in the north-west Slovakia nearby Trenčín. Later in 1957 KONŠTRUKTA built a sophisticated testing facility known as the Testing Operation at Lieskovec, which came closer to its aim - to ensure developmental of military equipment projects in its own workplaces and to eliminate travelling of designers to distant places and to ensure the projects without useless over-costs wasted on transport, accommodation and boarding.
In 1959 KONŠTRUKTA established an operation in Brno and later in 1972 in Prague due to the growing inquiry for various defense systems in former Czechoslovakia and the "Eastern Block". KONŠTRUKTA became one of the major R&D organizations in the "Eastern Block" employing over 2 500 people. In the 70s the company got engaged in designing and developing single-purpose machines also for commercial use by rubber, glass, and food-staff industries. Various medical equipment and devices were designed and developed by the company at that period as well.
Most of the projects carried out by the company during the 80s were defense oriented; however, towards the end of the 80s and at the beginning of the 90s the company started to experience an impact of conversion period in defense field that emerged primarily due to the collapse of communist regime in the region which finally resulted into the end of Cold War between the East and the West.
Consequently, the company was forced to downsize and the operations in Brno and Prague separated and became independent from the mother company. In 1993 KONŠTRUKTA Trenčín was divided into two independent legal entities with an intention to separate the defense and commercial activities of the company. Thus KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, State Enterprise and KONŠTRUKTA-Industry, State Enterprise came into existence.
In 1996 KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, State Enterprise was transformed into a company incorporated.
- 1953 - KONŠTRUKTA Trenčín, National Enterprise was established
- 1988 - KONŠTRUKTA Trenčín, National Enterprise was transformed into a State Enterprise
- 1993 - KONŠTRUKTA Trenčín, State Enterprise was divided into two independent legal entities:
- KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, State Enterprise
- KONŠTRUKTA-Industry, State Enterprise
- 1996 - KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, State Enterprise was transformed into a company incorporated (a.s.)
- 2004 - KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, a.s. was integrated into a State controlled industrial holding group known as DMD Group
- 2013 - KONŠTRUKTA-Defence, a.s. moved from Trenčín to Dubnica nad Váhom